I would never ask my patients to do something that I myself would not be willing to do myself. That is exactly why when it comes to teeth stains from coffee my answer will never be, “Stop drinking coffee.” Enjoying a cupe of coffee, whether morning or anytime of day, is perfectly fine but here are some tips that I’d like to share with you to help prevent those unsightly coffee stained teeth.
- Drink through a straw. The coffee can’t stain the teeth that it doesn’t touch!
- Take sips of water in between gulps of coffee. Rinsing your teeth helps to prevent the coffee from sitting on your teeth for a prolonged time. (Rinse well once completely done with your coffee)
- Add milk to your coffee. There is a protein in milk (casein) that latches onto the particles in coffee responsible for the staining. The only catch, it has to be high fat animal milk, soy milk won’t do it.
- Drink your coffee quickly. The least amount of time teeth are exposed to coffee the less time it has to stain them.
- Brush your teeth after your coffee. This may be hard to do or awkward at work but it is one of the most effective ways to keep your teeth pearly white.